The home buying process can be a very stressful period even for experienced home buyers who have purchased homes before. Many of my clients call and want to order all the services that we offer. There are no two homes that are the same and all home inspections should be approached with that mind set. Recently my client from a Buffalo Grove home inspection wanted to order a mold inspection. I asked my client why she wanted a mold inspection? She said her friend said to get a mold inspection before buying a home. There is nothing wrong with getting a mold inspection if you need it or you find reasons to perform a mold test. There are issues that you should look for prior to booking your mold inspection in Buffalo Grove is what I explained to my client.
- High moisture in a home can be a reason to contemplate a mold inspection at your home inspection.
- Evidence of past or present water entry in a home can cause concern and a good reason to purchase a mold test.
- Past or present water entry in a basement is a good reason to purchase a mold test. Finished basements are known areas that water entry can be hidden for years without the current home owners knowing that they have an issue.
- Foul or stale odors from a basement or crawl can be the by product from mold growth and may be a good reason to purchase a mold test from your home inspector.
- Standing water in a crawl space is a known breeding zone for mold. The inspection of the insulation and the floor sheeting will be needed to determine if as mold test is needed.
There are many types of mold that are in the fungi kingdom. There are only a few that will grow in your home do to water issues that ignite the mold. With further review I advised my client to perform a mold test with her home inspection at the Buffalo Grove home. The Buffalo Grove Mold inspection came up with very high numbers in the basement and the second floor of the home. The reason the home had mold growth was due to previous sewer back up that was not correctly cleaned in a timely fashion. Generally you have up to 48 hours to clean and dry out the areas that are affected with water before mold will begin to grow. The second floor of the home had high levels of mold growth because the furnace is in the basement and the forced air system was delivering mold fibers throughout the home through the ducts. This leads me to a new matter. Not only do you have mold remediation to deal with but duct cleaning will also be needed to eliminate any mold fibers that may be breeding in the ducts.
The client from the Buffalo Grove mold inspection understood why I wanted to qualify her need for a mold inspection before she spent her hard earned money. If you are buying or own a home that you think needs a mold test please review the possible issues above prior to spending your hard earned money. Please contact me if you have further questions about mold or mold services at ~ The Thermal Home Inspector or 312-961-4228.
Thanks for stopping by and stay safe.